This is an entry-level technical engineering work supporting higher level technicians and engineers. This position requires prior experience in construction or engineering. Performs technical duties supporting engineers and other professionals in areas such as construction, materials testing, design, surveys, and/or program compliance. Formal and informal training is provided as needed. Supervisor screens assignments for unusual or difficult problems and provides direction on procedures and actions to be followed and supervision on new assignments. Observes both simple and complex construction work and assists other inspectors. Requires State certification in ACI.
Related work functions are performed as necessary in conjunction with the following related duties and responsibilities:
- Working knowledge and understanding of general concepts, practices and theories used in the technical specialty area under direct supervision.
- Basic knowledge of state and/or federal rules/regulations to determine compliant
- Ability to perform land and property searches and plot information
- Ability to serve as survey crew member, assist with operation and maintaining equipment, staking out limits, checking alignment and grade; ability to stake and plot parameters.
- Performs assignments to assist in computing, calculating, and recording quantities used on the job site.
- Observes specific contractor activities, as directed by supervisors, and completes daily logs on work activities and observations.
- Using prescribed methods, performs specific field tests to verify that material requirements meet specifications and reports non-conformance to supervisors.
- Observes contractor’s work and verifies that field dimensions meet specifications and plan requirements.
- Applies standard practices and techniques in specific situations; makes others aware of discrepancies and follows operations through related detailed steps or procedures.
- Assists supervisors in preparing weekly, monthly and yearly progress and technical reports.
- Some judgment is required for details of work and in making field decisions and recommendations.
- As part of professional development, requires completion of all required certifications.
- Applies standard practices and techniques in specific situations, adjusts and correlates data, reorganizes discrepancies in results, and follows operations through a series of related detailed steps or procedures.
- Position requires operation of motor vehicle.
- Position requires ability to physically lift approximately 50 pounds.
- Presence at the designated office or job site is necessary to fulfill the requirements of this position.